A coffee table is a versatile piece of furniture that can serve many purposes in your living room. It's a place to set down your coffee, of course, but it can also be used to display books, magazines, and other decorative items. It can also be a convenient surface for working on a laptop, playing games, or enjoying a meal with friends.
Choosing the right coffee table is important for both the functionality and style of your living room. There are a few key factors to consider when making your selection. In this guide, we will show you how to choose the right coffee table for your living room.
The importance of choosing the right coffee table
The coffee table is often the focal point of the living room, so it's important to choose the right one. It should be functional, stylish, and the perfect size for your space.
Here are some of the reasons why choosing the right coffee table is important:
- Functionality: A coffee table provides a place to set down drinks, snacks, magazines, and other items. It can also be used as a workspace or a place to eat a casual meal. Choose a coffee table that is the right height and size for your needs.
- Style: The coffee table can be a great way to add personality and style to your living room. Choose a coffee table that complements the rest of your décor and reflects your personal taste.
- Scale and proportion: The coffee table should be the right size and scale for your living room. A coffee table that is too large or too small will look out of place. Choose a coffee table that is about two-thirds the length of your sofa and the same height or slightly lower than the seat cushions.
- Traffic flow: The coffee table should not block traffic flow in your living room. Make sure to leave enough space between the coffee table the sofa and other furniture so that people can move around easily.
Factors to consider when selecting a coffee table - size and shape
There are a few key factors to consider when choosing the right coffee table for your living room:
- Size and placement: Measure your space carefully before you start shopping. The coffee table should be large enough to be useful, but not so large that it overwhelms the room or makes it difficult to move around. It's also important to consider the placement of the coffee table. You'll want to leave enough space between the coffee table and the sofa and other seating so that people can comfortably walk around and sit down.
- Shape: Coffee tables come in a variety of shapes, including rectangular, square, round, and oval. The best shape for your coffee table will depend on the layout of your living room and the style of your other furniture. For example, if you have a small living room, you may want to choose a round or oval coffee table to avoid making the space feel too cramped.
- Height: Coffee tables typically range in height from 16 inches to 18 inches. When choosing a coffee table, make sure that it is the same height as or slightly lower than your sofa seats. This will ensure that it is comfortable to reach and use.
- Style: Coffee tables are available in a variety of styles, from traditional to modern. Choose a coffee table that complements the overall style of your living room. For example, if you have a traditional living room, you may want to choose a coffee table made of wood with intricate carvings. If you have a modern living room, you may want to choose a coffee table made of glass or metal with clean lines.
- Function: Consider how you will use your coffee table. If you need a place to store magazines, books, or other items, you may want to choose a coffee table with a shelf or drawer. If you have young children, you may want to choose a coffee table with rounded corners to avoid accidents.
Different types of coffee tables - modern, wood, square, marble top
There are many different types of coffee tables available, so you can find one that perfectly suits your style and needs.
- Modern coffee tables: Modern coffee tables are typically characterized by their clean lines and sleek designs. They are often made from materials such as glass, metal, and wood. Modern coffee tables can come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but some popular styles include:
- Rectangular coffee tables: Rectangular coffee tables are a classic choice for any living room. They are versatile and can be paired with a variety of different sofa and chair arrangements.
- Round coffee tables: Round coffee tables are a good choice for smaller living rooms, as they can help to create a more open and airier feel. They can also be used to break up the lines of a more traditional living room arrangement.
- Oval coffee tables: Oval coffee tables offer a best-of-both-worlds solution, with the versatility of a rectangular coffee table and the softness of a round coffee table.
- Wood coffee tables: Wood coffee tables are a popular choice for their timeless appeal and durability. They come in a variety of wood finishes, so you can find one that matches the overall style of your living room. Wood coffee tables can also be found in a variety of shapes and sizes, but some popular styles include:
- Rustic wood coffee tables: Rustic wood coffee tables are a great way to add a touch of warmth and character to your living room. They are often made from reclaimed wood or wood with a distressed finish.
- Farmhouse wood coffee tables:Farmhouse wood coffee tables are another popular choice for their rustic appeal. They are often made from simple, sturdy materials and have a clean, uncluttered design.
- Mid-century modern wood coffee tables:Mid-century modern wood coffee tables are a great choice for those who love a retro look. They are often made from walnut or teak wood and have a sleek, streamlined design.
- Square coffee tables: Square coffee tables are a versatile choice that can work well in a variety of living room settings. They are often used to create a focal point in the room, and they can also be used to break up the lines of a more traditional living room arrangement. Square coffee tables come in a variety of materials and styles, so you can find one that perfectly suits your needs.
- Marble-top coffee tables:Marble-top coffee tables are a luxurious and elegant choice for any living room. They are made from natural marble, which gives them a unique and sophisticated look. Marble top coffee tables come in a variety of shapes and sizes, but some popular styles include:
- Rectangular marble top coffee tables: Rectangular marble top coffee tables are a classic choice for any living room. They are versatile and can be paired with a variety of different sofa and chair arrangements.
- Round marble top coffee tables: Round marble top coffee tables are a good choice for smaller living rooms, as they can help to create a more open and airy feel. They can also be used to break up the lines of a more traditional living room arrangement.
- Oval marble top coffee tables: Oval marble top coffee tables offer a best-of-both-worlds solution, with the versatility of a rectangular marble top coffee table and the softness of a round marble top coffee table.
Tips for styling your coffee table
- Start with a focal point. This could be a large coffee table book, a vase of flowers, or a piece of art. Place your focal point in the center of the table, and then arrange your other items around it.
- Use a tray. Trays are a great way to group items together and create a vignette. You can use a tray to hold candles, books, and other decorative objects.
- Vary heights and sizes. This will add visual interest to your coffee table and make it look more dynamic. Try stacking books, placing a candle on a pedestal, or adding a vase of flowers.
- Use the rule of three. This is a classic design principle that states that groups of three objects are more visually appealing than groups of two or four. When arranging items on your coffee table, try to group them in threes whenever possible.
- Don't forget function.Your coffee table should be both stylish and functional. Make sure to leave enough space for people to put down their drinks, snacks, and magazines.
- Consider your décor style. When choosing items to decorate your coffee table, keep your overall décor style in mind. For example, if you have a modern living room, you might want to choose minimalist and sleek objects. If you have a traditional living room, you might want to choose more ornate and decorative items.
- Use color and pattern. Adding a pop of color or pattern to your coffee table is a great way to make it stand out. You can do this with a vase of flowers, a piece of art, or even just a stack of books in different colors.
- Don't be afraid to experiment. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to styling a coffee table. Have fun and experiment with different arrangements until you find one that you love.
Where to buy coffee tables - online vs. in-store
Online vs In-store, from where should you buy your next coffee table? It depends on your location, preferences, comfort zone, etc.
There are some advantages and disadvantages to both options. You can physically check the product, get direct help from an expert salesperson, and finally, you can instantly pick up the table at your home.
But, in the aspect of an online store, you will not get these advantages. Instead, you can do the buying from you comfort zone, can see lots of options in front of your eyes, and sometimes online store can do customization more than a physical store.
Elegant Interior has both options for you. You can do online buying or you can directly visit our showroom. We offer customization according to your preference, and also you have the facility of in-store pick-up.
Coffee table maintenance and care tips
Coffee tables are a staple piece of furniture in most households, but they can also be one of the most difficult pieces to keep clean and look their best. Here are a few tips on how to maintain and care for your coffee table:
The best way to keep your coffee table looking its best is to clean it regularly. How often you need to clean it will depend on how much you use it and how dusty your home is, but once a week is a good start. To clean your coffee table, simply dust it with a soft cloth or duster. If there are any spills or stains, wipe them up immediately with a damp cloth. For tougher stains, you may need to use a mild detergent.
Coasters and placemats
One of the best ways to protect your coffee table from spills and stains is to use coasters and placemats. Place a coaster under any beverage, even if it has a lid, to prevent water rings from forming. Placemats can also be used to protect your table from hot dishes and other objects.
Felt pads can be placed under the bottom of lamps, vases, and other objects to prevent them from scratching your coffee table surface.
If your coffee table is made of wood, you will need to polish it occasionally to maintain its finish. A good rule of thumb is to polish your coffee table every few months. To polish your coffee table, simply apply a small amount of polish to a soft cloth and rub it in a circular motion. Be sure to wipe off any excess polish with a dry cloth.
Avoiding direct sunlight
Direct sunlight can damage the finish of your coffee table over time. If possible, place your coffee table in a spot where it will not receive direct sunlight.
Spills and stains
If you spill something on your coffee table, it is important to clean it up immediately. The longer a spill sits, the more likely it is to stain. If you are unable to clean up a spill immediately, try to blot it up with a clean cloth. Avoid rubbing the spill, as this can spread it and make it more difficult to remove.
If your coffee table gets scratched, there are a few things you can do to try to repair the scratch. If the scratch is minor, you may be able to buff it out with a soft cloth. If the scratch is deeper, you may need to use a wood filler or a scratch removal kit.
Once you've considered all of these factors, you can start shopping for the perfect coffee table for your living room. Be sure to take your time and compare different options before making a decision. The right coffee table can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your living room. Talk to our experts to get the right one for your living room.